Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Thoughts from the southern hemisphere.

Hey everyone. It's David, checking in. At the moment, Evan has been pretty busy, and I wanted to throw my voice in the mix here. Pay no attention to the fact that the post shows up as being posted by Evan Camporeale, we're still working the kinks out on that.
Our Kickstarter has launched! It's been up since sometime later in the day on Monday. Evan put it all together, and we spent some time deliberating the various details and rewards and whatnot. It was quite a few drafts before it was finalized. It is a little nerve wracking to check the page and see that there are backers pledging support, but also knowing that it is going to be a long way to our goal.
The truth is that while it's easy to like a Facebook page, it is also all too easy to not to support a particular cause, project, or person. I am, more frequently than I would care to admit, one of the people who has done this. I have come to realize, more recently, that any cause I find worthy of my attention, especially if promoted by a friend, is absolutely worthy of supporting financially, and even with a low bank account, I won't mind donating because I know how life saving it can be to get donations, especially from friends and peers.
Where I am going with this, in my generally meandering style of writing, is that I cannot possibly overstate how incredibly important pledges are to us right now. While the trip is set in stone, and funded individually, this project will never get off the ground without outside support. Even a few dollars is incredibly meaningful, and we are beyond grateful to have every bit of support there is. And the remarkable thing is, if everyone who thought this project was worthy of a like on facebook could pull $5 out of their pockets in support, not only would we make incredible strides toward our goal, but we would be much more than $5 in debt to every individual who helped. If we could, at some point in time, pay back every individual who pledged, we would still be in debt for the support that we received.
I should admit I'm not a fan of how this post comes off. It's hard to tread lightly when you're asking for money. I'll end with a story, something that happened today. An old friend, who hasn't been in touch in...at least half a dozen years, if not more, suddenly popped up on my personal facebook wall. He started by saying that I might not remember who he was, it had been that long. He went on to say that he saw our page show up somewhere on facebook. He said he thinks this trip is an amazing idea, offered financial support, and also made plans to meet us as we pass by him in Arizona, bring us along to a west coast party, if we were so inclined, and potentially have a place to crash with a roof over our heads, which will be relatively rare while we are on the road. It boggles my mind that this trip brought about this unlikely turn of events, makes me grateful for his generosity, and makes me wonder what power this journey might have in bringing people together, whether they be old friends or new, or even strangers on the road.
-David

No comments:

Post a Comment